Most homeowners have a garage in which they store their car or have a workshop or storage space. But many people also forget that the garage can be an easy entry point for would-be thieves and burglars. The garage is also often regarded as a part of the home that requires little maintenance and aesthetic improvement. But there is an affordable and customisable solution that really enhances what a garage can be.
Advantages for the Homeowner
Having a roller shutter installed by professionals can result in some dramatic improvements, including but not limited to:
- Visual: Garage and roller shutters come in a wide range of colours, styles and sizes. They are attractive and can really enhance the look of a home. This translates to potentially greater sales value if you ever decide to put your home on the market.
- Security: Thieves are always looking for weak points to exploit in homes. Modern roller shutter doors are solid and secure. They form a deterrent to would-be thieves and add to the security of your home.
- Maintenance: If you associate roller shutters with cumbersome designs that are difficult to maintain, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the fact that the modern roller shutter door requires little maintenance and is easy to keep clean.
Advice on Maintaining Your Garage Roller Shutter Door
Some roller shutters are relatively straightforward to self-install given basic skills, but others will require expert installation. Modern roller shutters are low maintenance devices, but still benefit from performing the following checks throughout the year:
- Clear the mess: For optimum operation, it is best to keep the area around the roller shutter free and clear of junk and other debris. Boxes can pile up in some garages, and it is best to keep them clear of the roller shutter mechanism and associated electronics. Debris and junk can also block the infra-red sensors and cause the remote controlled operation to fail or become erratic.
- Check the battery: Modern roller shutters feature remote controlled operation. This makes using them easy and convenient, but it is always a good idea to check and change the batteries in the remote on a regular basis. You’d be surprised at just how many people report a fault in their roller shutter when it is only the batteries in the remote that need changing!
- Leaks: It is very important to keep water out of the delicate sensor electronics and roller door assembly. By checking that the roof, walls and areas around the door are sealed and water tight, you can ensure optimum operation.
- Clean: Insects tend to get into garages and infest corners and other areas. By clearing out spider webs and other possible insect infestations, you help to keep the roller door operating at peak efficiency.
Providing Value and Security
By having a roller shutter installed, you improve the value of your home in the long term and benefit from both the security and convenience that it provides while you are living in the home.